2023 Southwestern Youth Music Festival
CSULB Bob Cole Conservatory of Music
July 15–16 and July 22–24, 2023
PLEASE NOTE: All string categories will be held on July 22–24.
The Young Violinist/Violist, Young Cellist, Young Pianist, and Young Wind Musician will be held on July 15.
Happy New Year!
We were excited to return to in-person auditions last summer at the Bob Cole Conservatory on the campus of California State University, Long Beach.
Health regulations and concerns had forced us to modify our normal audition procedures and that gave us a chance to experiment with new ways of running a competition. We believe that we streamlined our procedures, including notification of winners, trophy pickup and managing audition room crowding. The addition of using the Whova app for answering questions and getting information to teachers and entrants was an especially useful tool and we hope to provide the same service in 2023.
As we gear up for this summer’s competition, SYMF is tentatively planning on the following:
- The Young Musicians categories will be again be limited to the Baroque and early Classical periods (through Beethoven). The Woodwind categories will be included this year.
- Auditions will be open to the public but may be limited in audience size.
- First place winners will be invited to perform at a Winners Recital on the same day of the category’s audition.
- There will be no warm up rooms.
- We are planning a piano masterclass before the summer Festival! Details to be announced soon.
SYMF has updated our Rules and Regulations booklet, Piano Qualified Solo Repertoire booklet, and the Violin Qualified Solo Repertoire list; they can be found at this link: https://symf.org/summer-festival/rules-regulations/
We look forward to seeing you and your students this summer!
SYMF 2023 Summer Festival
The 61st Annual Southwestern Youth Music Festival will be at the Bob Cole Conservatory of Music on the campus of California State University Long Beach (CSULB) over two weekends:
- July 15 (SAT)
- July 16 (SUN)
- July 22 (SAT)
- July 23 (SUN)
- July 24 (MON)
SYMF 2023 Member Dues: $80
- All fees must be paid ONLINE and are NON-REFUNDABLE.
- This form is for ALL Members (Current, Re-Instating, and New)
- Current Members are teachers who paid SYMF Dues in 2022.
Deadline for submitting 2023 Member Dues
- May 1, 2023 (11:59 PM PT)
- After May 1, 2023, Member Dues: $100 (includes $20 late fee)
Current SYMF Materials (Rules & Regulations and Repertoire Lists) are available at: https://symf.org/summer-festival/rules-regulations/
Dates & Deadlines
- May 1: Last day for TEACHERS to pay SYMF Member Dues for 2023
- without a $20 Late Fee
- May 15: Last day for TEACHERS to pay SYMF Member Dues for 2023
- with a $20 Late Fee
- May 15: Last day for TEACHERS to enter students for the 2023 Festival (teachers must use the online Student Entry Form)
- without the $10 late fee PER ENTRY
- May 22: Last day for TEACHERS to enter students for the 2023 Festival (teachers must use the online Student Entry Form)
- with the $10 late fee PER ENTRY
- REMINDER: Students entered between May 16 and May 22 will incur a late fee of $10 PER ENTRY
- The absolute last day to enter students is May 22
- with the $10 late fee PER ENTRY
- May 23: Last day for PARENTS/STUDENTS to submit online Entry Fees Payment and Consent Waivers
- Entry Fees for all Solo Categories: $60
- Entry Fees for all Ensemble Categories: $30 per performer
- Entry Fees for all Young Musicians Categories: $80
1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th-Place Winners will receive an SYMF trophy with an engraved personalized nameplate.
Please e-mail: email@example.com
- If you would like to be featured on SYMF’s website as a sponsor, and be included in all future 2023 SYMF E-Newsletters and the 2023 Summer Festival Program Booklet, please click here.
- Your logo will be prominently displayed.
- 2023 Advertising Fees are $100 (includes website sponsorship, e-newsletter advertisement, and 2023 Summer Festival Program Booklet advertisement).
- Please consider a donation to help SYMF continue offering performing opportunities to young musicians.
- To make a donation, please click here.